The Waterfront Center’s awards jury completed its deliberations in Cape May, N.J., on Saturday, July 29, picking 12 projects and plans from 74 entries. The range and caliber of the portfolios entered this year impressed the jury. Also recognized were four citizen volunteer efforts, to receive Clearwater Awards, and two students. The Clearwater Award is named for the citizen’s group working to clean up the Hudson River, spearheaded by Peteq Seeger. The winners will be announced during the Center’s annual conference, to be held in Seattle on October 22 to 24, 2009. The announcement, always a highlight of the annual meeting, is followed by a champagne reception honoring the winners (sponsored this year by EDAW/AECOM) and a gala dinner (optional) to be held at the Seattle Art Museum’s Sculpture Garden Pavilion. Serving on this year’s jury were:
• Mike Burke jury chair, attorney, King Hershey PC and counsel, Port Authority of Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.
* Fran Hegler, senior director/development manager, EDAW/AECOM, San Francisco, Calif.
• Jeff Shelden, senior coastal engineer, Moffitt and Nichol, Raleigh, N.C.
• Harris Steinberg, executive director, Penn Praxis, the clinical arm of the School of Design, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Penn.
• Michel Trocme, partner, Urban Strategies Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada.